Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Yet another scandal and another ugly exit for Petrino





Bobby Petrino was fired as football coach at the University of Arkansas, nine days after he was injured in a motorcycle accident and then covered up the fact that a female football staff member was on the bike. Last night during a news conference, Athletic Director Jeff Long said Petrino has been reckless and was involved in a "patten of misleading and manipulative behavior."  He also said that Petrino gave the female employee $20,000 at one point during their relationship but did not disclose what the money was given for.

Long said Petrino was fired "with cause" which means that he will not receive the $18 million buyout his contract called for and there were no discussions about ways to keep Petrino at Arkansas.  According to Long, Petrino was given multiple chances to come clean to long over the pst 10 days about his lying which included infidelity to workplace favoritism.  "He made the decision to mislead the public," Long said.

Petrino is the former head coach of the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League, led Arkansas to a Cotton Bowl in and a No. 5 final ranking in the Associated Press national college football poll this past season.

The completion of his fourth season with the Razorback ended with a 34-17 record along with four broken ribs and other injuries from the April 1st motorcycle accident.  He was placed on paid leaves after acknowledging he had lied at a news conference about the presence of the 25 year old woman. 

Petrino has since issued a length apology and is going to try to heal the wounds he has left with his family at this time. "All I have been able to think about is the number of people I have let down by making selfish decisions" he said.  "I chose to engage in an improper relationship.  I also made several poor decisions following the end of that relationship and in the aftermath of 
the accident.  I accept full responsibility for what has happened."

In his statement, Petrino said he and his staff had left Arkansas in better shape and wished for its success.


"As a result of my personal mistakes, we will not get to finish our goal of building a championship program," he said. "My sole focus at this point is trying to repair the damage I've done to my family. They did not ask for any of this and deserve better. I am committed to being a better husband, father and human being as a result of this and will work each and every day to prove that to my family, friends and others.
"I love football. I love coaching. I of course hope I can find my way back to the profession I love. In the meantime, I will do everything I can to heal the wounds I have created."


No comments:

Post a Comment